Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Do I Make You Proud?

I am always fascinated by the immense learning power of animals.  Service dogs in particular.  I know my Melly is smart and with the proper training she has learned to stay off of the furniture, not beg at the table, and stay inside her invisible fence.  I have failed at training her not to be afraid of thunderstorms, not to bark at a random leaf floating down the sidewalk and not to always establish her dominance when around other dogs.  I know that someone with experience who knows what they are doing could probably do wonders with her.  

My sister, Aunt S, forwarded this video to me.  While I am amazed at what this special dog has accomplished, I am also comforted by the fact that even experienced dog trainers have to admit defeat and succumb to the animals instinct.  Maybe I didn't fail.  Maybe Melly's barking has kept away an intruder, maybe her dominance has thwarted another dog from attacking BoyBoy, maybe she has warned me of a coming storm so that I can roll the windows up in my car.  She is special and unique and I love her...so what if she can't surf!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I dont own a puppy prodigy either but she is my baby...my lil weenee doggers thinks she is a german shepard..srsly!

Pat Allen said...

That's an amazing video! Have you heard of that new Radial-Shape Wireless Dog Fence from Havahart? It also works on two dogs.