1 hour ago
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
You might remember that we have a bit of a critter collection going on in our back yard. I have already described Melly's squirrel problem and shown you how we're handling the rabbit problem. Well, the squirrel problem has been solved somewhat with this. They are not all gone, but their population has decreased since they have had to look elsewhere for lodging. But, seriously, over the winter, the backyard rabbits took it upon themselves to follow the good Lord's wishes and multiply, multiply, multiply. Some of them may even have added, regrouped and cosin-ed a bit. Every day we have a multitude of fuzzy, cuddly, adorable, cotton-tailed bunnies eating every blade of grass, clover, and pansy in our yard. Melly loves to chase them but they are smart enough to know where the invisible fence is so they hang out just on the other side of the line. Smart little dudes. I love seeing them in the evenings, nestled in a patch of clover. Last night, there was one in the front that didn't seem to mind having his photo taken. He was content to eat the crabgrass and clover.
And, just as I was going back in the house, the good Lord gave me a sign that he liked the rabbits, too.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
I love my dad. He is crazy smart, sneaky funny, addicted to golf, hopelessly in love with my mother and an overall big softie. He raised my sister and me with quiet strength and taught us how to do things right. He loves his grandchildren with reckless abandon and admires his sons-in-law for loving his daughters, quirks and all. Happy Father's Day, G-Dad!
Friday, June 19, 2009
Monday, June 15, 2009
Friday night, Bubba and I went to see George Straight in concert. It was totally awesome and George didn't disappoint! I have to admit that I am a converted country music fan. Didn't really like it until I met Bubba and he turned me on to George Straight. George is the real deal. He is so cool without trying. He is "the fireman," after all. The concert was held in the local outdoor amphitheatre which gives it a more intimate feeling. We got great tickets by accident and we were dead center about 10 rows up. We bought the most expensive beers ever and then took our picture waiting for the show to start.
George's opening acts were Julianne Hough (from Dancing with the Stars - when she came on stage Bubba started drooling and said "schwing!!!") and Blake Shelton. I had never heard Julianne sing so my expectations were non-existent. She was so cute and adorable...like a little pocket princess. I enjoyed listening to her (although she should probably stick with the dancing...) and watching Bubba googoo over her. My favorite song that she sang was "My Hallelujah Song." Blake was great as well. He is kind of a character and about 7 feet tall. Loved his song called "Some Beach." I think it will be my new happy place song.
And then there was George... What can I say? He was amazing, awesome, funny, adorable, sexy, and one of a kind. He sang most of his greatest hits as well as a couple of new ones. He even sang "Folsom Prison" as one of his encores.
One from the Jumbotron...he is an old troubadour!
Friday, June 12, 2009
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Here is my first attempt at You Capture...
This week's theme is Nature...easy, peasy for me since I have been obsessed with taking pictures with my new camera and, since no one wants me to take pictures of them, I have been stalking all the foliage in my backyard. By the way, have I told you how much I love my new camera???
The beautiful, yummy, pom-pommyness of these hydrangeas just makes me happy!
This one is hanging in my screened porch...I think it is called foxglove. So pretty and dainty...like me! (LOL!!!)
Azaleas...can't take credit for these...they have been here forever from the looks of them...maybe even before the dinosaurs.
That's a tour through the nature that is my backyard. How about yours?
Monday, June 8, 2009
Since I seem to be in a blogging funk, meme's are the only thing that are keeping me going...
April got tagged and then tagged everyone with this doozy. Don't fall asleep reading it...it is long, but compelling!
1. Last beverage → Hardees iced tea.
Friday, June 5, 2009
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Soxy Deb challenged everyone to complete this meme. I haven't done this one so I thought, what the hey, I'll do it. Here goes:
8 things I am looking forward to:
1. Fourth of July - the fearsome foursome will be back together for the day and it's gonna rock! We haven't been together since Kimmie moved back to the USA in the fall of 2007. If the patio's rockin'...come on over!!!
2. Next Friday night I am going to surprise Bubba with something huge!!! Can't write about it here because he reads my blog. Bubba, don't try to weasel it out of me...I am so excited!
3. The end of school for BoyBoy. I love hanging out with him in the summer.
4. Summertime in general. I love the weather, thunderstorms, sandy beaches, pool side, beach books...all of it!
5. Gosh, I don't have all that much to look forward to. Do I really have to think of 8?!?!
6. Getting new tennis shoes. Mine are getting yucky and they are permanently dyed red from the concrete stain.
7. Did I already say next Friday? Bubba, you are going to be so psyched!!!
8. My good friend, SJ, is having her second baby any day now. Can't wait to meet him!!!
8 things I did yesterday:
1. Rode my bike a looooonnnnnngggg way. My bedonkadonk is sore but it felt so good. I have no idea how far I rode but it took me an hour round trip.
2. Read blogs...duh!
3. Took something back to Old Navy...bought the bottoms instead of the top to a bathing suit I wanted...oops!
4. Ate lunch at Chic-Fil-A....mmmmm, chicken strips salad with blue cheese dressing and unsweet tea, mmmmmm.
5. Talked to my friend, SJ, on the phone for about an hour.
6. Talked to my sister on the phone about a million times - and I am NOT exaggerating.
7. Went to the funeral home visitation for my great aunt who lived to be 93 and had the greatest giggle.
8. Watched Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern - that kat is crazy!!!
8 things I wish I could do:
1. Whistle through my fingers really loud.
2. Scuba dive - claustrophobic...phew!
3. Win the lottery.
4. Afford laser hair removal for all the important parts - waxing hurts and shaving is a pain in the tushie.
5. Meet Oprah - I just know that we would be BFF's.
6. While we are on the subject of meeting people, I would love to meet Jason and Molly so that I can dope smack them both!
7. Eat more fruits and veggies - don't like 'em.
8. Tell my loved ones how much they mean to me every day.
8 shows I watch:
2. American Idol
3. Amazing Race
4. Top Chef
5. America's Next Top Model (are you sensing a trend?)
6. Hell's Kitchen
7. Anything on HGTV
8 favorite fruits:
3. See #7 under "things I wish I could do"
8 places I'd like to travel:
3. Turks and Caicos
5. Back to Canary Islands
6. Back to Rome - this time with Bubba
8. Back to London
8 places I've lived:
2. Manhattan, Kansas
3. Orlando, Florida
4. Ft. Irwin, California
5. Leavenworth, Kansas
6. Bad Kreuznach, Germany
7. Mainz, Germany
8. Kaiserslautern, Germany
OK, that's it...everything you never wanted to know about me. Again, like Soxy Deb, I am not going to tag anyone. Do it if you want to, just tell me if you do so that I can go read yours! I'll read yours if you read mine!
Monday, June 1, 2009
Today, Bubba started his new job. He was so excited. It was making me giggle. He picked out his clothes and then checked with me to make sure they were OK. It is the first time in his adult life that he has had to do that, so it was a bit daunting. He made sure he had all of his documents together - passport, Social Security card, driver's license. The grin on his face and the pep in his step was priceless. I am so proud of him.
It is a bittersweet day for me. We have been hanging out for the last six weeks and it has been great. If anyone had told me that we would have had so much fun, I would have thought they were crazy. But we did. We worked our heinies off some days, relaxed others, played hooky on one or two. It was great. We didn't get on each other's nerves, we didn't fight, we were creative, productive and industrious. I am going to miss hanging out with him every day - sitting on the porch reading the newspaper, eating lunch together on the new patio, playing with the dog. It was fun.
I have two weeks to myself until BoyBoy is out of school. I really don't know what I am going to do with myself. Maybe some retail therapy to get me through? Old Navy, here I come!!!