Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Addiction

I have an addiction. It is a guilty, terrible, all consuming addiction. I developed it in earnest while Bubba was deployed and I had no one to keep my urges in check. Add to that the fact that I was living in Germany at the time and I had very little to distract me from my addiction and I had myself a recipe for disaster. I don't know if I am ready to admit that I have a problem and seek counseling. I mean, who am I really hurting? You see, my addiction is Reality Television.

You name it, I have watched it. The Amazing Race, American Idol, America's Got Talent, America's Next Top Model, The Apprentice, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, Beauty and the Geek, The Biggest Loser, Celebrity Circus, Dancing with the Stars, Extreme Makeover (especially Home Edition), Hell's Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares, Last Comic Standing, Project Runway, The Real World, So You Think You Can Dance, Survivor, Top Chef...I've seen them all. I have opinions about most of them. Do I think Deanna chose the right guy when she chose Jesse? Absolutely! Do I think that Parvati deserved to win Survivor: Fans vs Favorites? Yes!Should David Archuletta have won American Idol? Probably (although I was rooting for David Cook - I think the AI Machine will kill his career) Do I want to see Amber and Rob in yet another reality show? Well...maybe not. Do I despise Amarossa? Definitely!

Unlike many of my other addictions, I am not ashamed of this one. I make plans based on what is on and whether I can set the VCR (yes, VCR - I haven't stepped into the 21st century and gone TiVo). In Germany, reality TV was all I had. It was what kept me going during the time that Bubba was away. It gave me something to look forward to during those long months. It was always there for me. If I missed something, I had my other addiction (the internet) to back me up and let me in on the secrets, lies, showdowns and showoffs that I had missed. I could lose myself in the cattiness, craziness and confusion that reigned on my shows. Some, when faced with a long deployment will lose themselves in a hobby, some will throw themselves into their career, some will drown themselves in the bottom of a bottle of hair color. Others will make less healthy choices...not me. I choose to sit on the sofa with a friend...Tyra will tell it like it is, Jeff Probst will state the obvious, Phil Keogan will look good no matter what continent he is standing on - these things I could count on. I love my reality TV!

Our cable gets hooked up this week! I may need an intervention!

No comments: